Monday, June 1, 2009

Busted Wheel

So the official prognosis is a greenstick fracture of the 5th metatarsal. Greenstick fractures differ from stress fractures in a notable way, specifically, they are not caused by repeated trauma, rather by a specific instance of trauma. In my case, the doctor says it was probably from running over a rock (or thousands on that god damned train bed). This injury is sometimes referred to as the "Jones Fracture," (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_fracture). It's legit enough to show up clearly in an x-ray, which I thought was somewhat bad ass.

Anyway, they've got me in a boot for 2-3 weeks. No running, no biking, but swimming and weight lifting are allowed (just no weight lifting with my legs). In other words, I can't eat for 3 weeks unless I want to get fat.

UPDATE: 5th AND 4th metatarsals. They found the second fracture after another set of x-rays.

2 comments:

PR said...

Wow, really sorry to hear that. Heal soon!



P.S. I am a big fan of pool running if you've never done it before. It's boring as hell, but you get to eat normally, and you won't lose much running fitness.

Peter said...

Good luck with the rehab. Try not to go crazy.